A FEW OF MY FAVOURITE THINGS - LARGE SHELF
A few of my favorite things. This shelf can be hung vertically to provide a podium for
the little things that have a sentimental value. It can also be hung horizontally to provide
a larger platform for a telephone or plant in a hallway.
These pieces are handmade in Berlin from solid German Douglas fir at a facility for the disabled, where skilled craftsman work with disabled patients to produce these timeless beauties.
A feature of solid wood in this scale is that as it expands and contracts with the seasons, cracks will develop and grow, adding character and depth of texture to this piece as it matures. These do not affect structural integrity.
Large: L: 36 cm x W: 36 cm x H: 60cm
Solid Douglas Fir
handwork from Germany
Furniture and Homewares inspired by the Mathematics of Nature
what does that mean?
It means we look at patterns and forms that occur in the natural world; we adapt and play with them as a starting point for all of our designs. Those patterns and principles breathe through our products, bringing them to life, revealing themselves slowly.
Almost all of what we make relies on the user to give it the final touch, to make it his or her own. We work with natural materials such as European oak, Douglas Fir, pure sheet metals, as well as some surprising new materials and processes.
We manufacture our products in small factories that we know well, whether it is
• a facility for the disabled here in Berlin that makes our more simple wooden pieces and picture frames
• a respected artisan in Bohemia who individually crafts our more technically demanding tables
• high tech medical equipment firms in northern Italy whithout whom we would not be able to make the steel, brass and copper pieces
• tradional stone crafts in Pakistan for marble
• small, privately run workshops in China for silicon and glass
We are a firm rooted in Berlin, Germany, operating globally in a spirit of openness and fairness, exporting to 34 countries and counting.