Sometimes zucchinis (courgettes) can be hit and miss. An then there are all these theories that it's best to sweat them with salt before cooking and all sorts of hassle.
But we can now exclusively reveal: it's all super easy.
What you need:
- 4 zucchinis - small is best, we love the pale green ones.
- butter to fry
Split the zucchinis in half, long ways, and fry them, medium high heat, for 3 minutes each side (flat side down first, and then the skin side). Place the fried zucchinis in a bowl when done. You might need to do this in batches.
While frying, simply mix
- half a cup of good olive oil
- a tablespoon of fancy french vinegar (we use one with taragon). It shouldn't be balsamic if possible.
- half a clove of garlic, crushed.
- some basil leaves
- plenty of salt and freshly ground pepper
in a glass as a salad dressing. Pour this mixture over the bowl with the zucchinis and leave to the side. Put it in the fridge if dinner is a few hours off, or you're preparing for tomorrow.
This dish works on the basis that the flavor penetration is better with zucchinis where the texture has already broken due to frying. Much better than marinating in advance.
And that's all!